16.4.14

Emily Carr Live Model Sketching - Class 6

Patricia Gray Pastel Painting Vancouver
Patricia Gray | Emily Carr University Live Model Sketch Class
This is class six of my Pastel course at Emily Carr University of Art & Design. It is the first time I have done a live model class (I won't count the one class in design school many years ago). We had a series of timed sketches. Starting out with 30 seconds which seemed impossible to capture anything. I was only able to put down a few strokes. Progressing to 60 seconds which was a little better. Then 5 minutes, which felt like an eternity. Then onto 10 minutes, when I could start to make sense of the figure and get a bit of shading and contouring. Each time the model assumed a different pose, so it was always starting from scratch. Short bursts of concentration trains the mind to capture the essence of the pose. No time to ponder, no time to correct. Just carry on. A good lesson for life also. These are 6 of the 45 sketches I completed in a three hour class. The total concentration required was exhausting but exhilarating. I will do it again!

PATRICIA GRAY INC is an award winning interior design firm in Vancouver. Here we write about lifestyle

4 comments:

  1. Great sketches, I would like to do something like that, but I think I wouldn't be patient enough

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing your classes and progress. Your work looks great! Sure you have talent... What are the techniques? I saw a knife? Is it for smudging?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan
    I use the knife for scraping the pastels and sometimes for smudging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous22/5/14

    An impressive share! I've just forwarded this onto a co-worker who had
    been conducting a little research on this. And he in fact ordered me lunch simply because I found it for him...

    lol. So let me reword this.... Thank YOU for the meal!!

    But yeah, thanks for spending some time to discuss this subject here on your internet site.

    ReplyDelete

Patricia Gray | Interior Design Blog™

I love to hear your comments and welcome your thoughts and feedback. Please use the comment form as a discussion format pertaining to the topic at hand.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...